To celebrate a Filipino birthday, it is a must to have noodles and the Filipino kitchen repertoire for noodles is a treasure trove. To inject being Asian, I have chosen to use the Korean glass noodle for this much loved noodle dish.
- 500 grams Korean glass noodles (vermicelli) – sweet potato noodles or sotanghon – soak in tap water for 30 minutes; cut into 12-inch lengths and drain
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 250 grams shrimps or very small prawns – peel; if shrimps, leave whole; prawns, peel, devein and cut into 1-inch slices or slice in half lengthwise
- 250 grams pork liempo – pork belly – slice 1/2-inch by 1/4-inch pieces
- 250 grams chicken thigh – slice 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons anato juice – soak 1 tablespoon anato seeds with 1 teaspoon lye water; mix well and then pour in 1/4 cup boiling hot water; leave to soak for Â½ hour
- 10 grams dried wood ear mushroom (tenga ng daga) – soak in hot water and slice julienne
- 4 cups chicken broth – warmed
- 2 pieces chicken broth cubes or 2 tablespoons powdered chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to make it spicier â€“ 1 teaspoon Jabanero sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs and make an omelet – slice into thin strips or 1 doz. cooked quail eggs
- 1/4 cup spring onion – chopped
- Use a medium sized wok; put over medium-low heat. Warm pot for 2 minutes.
- Pour oil into wok.
- SautÃ© garlic till light gold.
- Add in the onions and continue to sautÃ© till the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the anato juice and turn flame to low.
- Continue sautÃ©ing till the anato juice does not smell metallic; around 10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and sautÃ© for 1 minute.
- Turn flame to medium.
- Add the pork and chicken pieces and sautÃ© for 5 minutes.
- Add in the shrimp and continue sautÃ©ing for 1 minute.
- Add the wood ear mushroom.
- Pour in chicken broth and chicken cubes and turn flame to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with patis, pepper and salt.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes and adjust taste.
- Place the drained noodles in the mixed broth, cover and simmer till the noodles are done (around 10 to 15 minutes); but every once in a while, stir the mixture.
- Test noodles if done and then garnish with sliced egg and green onion.
- Serve with patis as dipping sauce.