This is basically a Thai dish but the Thai version deep fries the chicken. Being conscious of too much fried food, I tweaked it by baking it instead. The Philippines is abundant with ‘pandan’ leaves, and I thought that doing it this way is another use of the ‘pandan’ and the chicken.
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 pieces chicken thigh deboned and cut into 4 pieces each
- Mix marinade.
- Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- Wrap in pandan leaves. Lay chicken piece on the large bottom of the pandan leaf. Fold over the leaf, creating a triangle and continue to roll in triangle form enclosing the chicken and seal by using a toothpick to close the ends.
- Place on baking tray and pour excess marinade over chicken.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F (180ÂºC) or till chicken is tender. You can test for tenderness by pricking it with a toothpick and piercing a toothpick to the chicken with no resistance is proof that the chicken is tender. DONT STAB!