Ox tongue is one of the cheapest cuts of meat nowadays because it takes a few hours to prepare and cook it; but one must remember there is hardly any part of the tongue that you discard. It has a different flavor from the other cuts of beef but with the addition of some herbs and spices, it has its own savory flavor.
How to clean the ox tongue:
- In a pot that can totally submerge the ox tongue, fill with water and bring to a boil.
- Place the ox tongue in the water and let cook for half an hour.
- Remove the ox tongue from the liquid and remove the white membrane that surrounds the ox tongue. If membrane is hard to remove, return to the hot liquid and continue to boil for another 15 minutes. Keep doing this till all the white membrane is removed.
- In the USA, Australia and other countries, the ox tongue is already clean; this step is not necessary.
- 1 ox tongue (its around 1 plus kilo)
- water to cover tongue in a pot
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 4 pieces cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 onions â€“ quartered
- Â¼ cup soy sauce
- 100 grams mushrooms â€“ cut into four (sautÃ© mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 carrot â€“ cut into small squares and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes
- Â¼ cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups of cooking liquid
- 1 piece beef cube
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
Tenderizing the ox tongue:
- In a pot, place ox tongue and add water till the tongue is fully submerged.
- Add the onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, salt, tomato paste and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ox tongue from cooking and liquid and slice into desired size. I prefer to slice them into Â¼-inch thick oblong pieces.
- Return the ox tongue into the cooking liquid and continue to simmer till the ox tongue is tender.
- Remove the ox tongue from the liquid and arrange in a baking dish.
- Make the sauce.
- In a small sauce pan, over low fire, place the butter and flour.
- Using a wire whisk, stir the butter and flour till the smell of the flour doesnâ€™t smell raw.
- Pour a fourth cup of cooking liquid into butter/flour mixture and stir well till well blended.
- Continue doing this until all the liquid (2 cups) have been added.
- Continue simmering for 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire and pour on top of ox tongue.
- Scatter mushrooms, carrots and peas on top of sauce.
To make it a complete dish, you can make mashed potato and using an ice cream scooper, arrange mashed potato on sides of ox tongue and bake for half at hour at 180Â°C
This dish also goes very well with boiled rice.