I first became acquainted with this delicious roll from my grandparents majordoma, Florencia (Esia) Guiao. She was commissioned to bake this roll every family sunday gathering. All the while, I thought it was my great grandmother, Luisa Fernandez Lichauco, who invented this cake. But when we had our first grand Lichauco reunion, I then found out, that it was her sister, Cornelia Lichauco, who invented it. It was called MalacaÃ±ang Roll, because their family used to live near the Presidential Palace – MalacaÃ±ang. I have tweaked the recipe to make the roll more moist.
If making a roll seems daunting, you can divide the batter into two round cake tins and it will still taste the same. You can fill and top the cake with fudge and meringue.
Cream Sponge CakeÂ Ingredients:
- 4 eggs – separated
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Â½ tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar – divide into Â¾ cup and Â¼ cup
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (140 grams) cake flour – sifted
- 1 Â¼ teaspoons baking powder
Cream Sponge CakeÂ Procedure:
- Preheat oven to 325ÂºF (165ÂºC)
- Line with baking paper jelly roll pan 10-inches by 15-inches by 1-inch high (26cm by 38cm by 2.5cm high)
- or 2 baking pans 9-inch diameter round by 2-inches high (23cm by 5cm high)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, place egg yolks, lemon juice, cold water, and vanilla extract; beat until thick and pale; about 8 minutes.
- Gradually add Â¾ cup of the sugar and blend well.
- Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites separately until foamy, add the salt, and continue beating until the whites form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the remaining Â¼ cup of sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Gently stir a fourth of the whites into the yolk mixture.
- Spoon the remaining whites onto the yolk mixture.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Carefully fold in flour/baking powder mixture into egg mixture.
- Spoon into prepared pan and level off.
- For roll – bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- For round tins – bake 15 to 20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean
To un-mold jelly roll sponge:
- Over cooling rack, place tea towel (katcha cloth) and open up to spread as large as jelly roll tin.
- Generously dust flour all over tea towel.
- When you take jelly roll sponge out of oven, place on another rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Then when cooled down, turn out into prepared tea towel.
- Remove the baking paper.
- Let cool for another 5 minutes.
- Gently roll, lengthwise and let cool for 20 minutes and then unroll.
- When fudge is ready, spread all over the inside of roll.
- Then spread a thin layer of meringue all over the fudge.
- Carefully roll lengthwise and transfer into serving plate.
- Frost top with meringue and decorate with remaining fudge.
Chocolate Fudge Filling Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons cocoa or 60 grams semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Â¾ cups evaporated milk
- Â¾ cup (150 grams) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) butter
- Â½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Fudge FillingÂ Procedure:
- In a thick bottom, medium sized, sauce pan, place sugar and mix in cocoa. If using semi-sweet chocolate pieces, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Slowly pour in the evaporated milk, mixing continuously.
- Place sauce pan over medium-low heat and continuously stir till the thermometer register 110ÂºC or 230ÂºF or till the fudge clings to back of wooden spoon.
- Remove from fire and keep stirring till almost cool.
- Then spread inside jelly roll; keep some for decorating.
Meringue Icing Ingredients:
- Â¼ cup water
- 2/3 cups (135 grams) sugar
- 2 egg whites
Meringue Icing Procedure:
- In a small sauce pan, pour in water and then add sugar.
- Place over medium heat; do not stir.
- Let the sugar-water mixture boil till the thermometer registers for soft ball stage (115ÂºC or 235ÂºF)
- While the sugar is boiling, start with the egg whites.
- In a small mixing bowl, using electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and then slowly pour in the syrup over the beaten whites, beating constantly all the while; continue to beat until the meringue has cooled to room temperature.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Use to fill and frost roll or cake.