Everybody and I mean everybody loves chocolate cake! The Philippines grows its own cacao trees and therefore chocolate is also Pinoy. This recipe is truly scrumptious and the Mocha filling and Fudge Icing truly make this cake really SINFUL with a capital S. This cake is moist, soft but not crumbly and the filling softens the taste of too much chocolate.
- 2 Â½ cups (350 grams) cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Â½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 Â½ cups (500 grams) white sugar
- 1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter
- Â¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 whole eggs â€“ place in a cup to make 1 cup
- 1 2/3 cups cold water
- 1 cup (80 grams) sifted Dutch cocoa powder â€“ the secret is using good quality Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla â€“ mix with the cocoa
- Preheat oven to 325Â°F (163Â°C).
- Prepare two 9-inch diameter by 2-inch round pans; brush with shortening and sprinkle with flour or line with baking paper.
- Sift together baking powder, baking soda and powder, salt, and flour three times. Set aside.
- Combine cocoa, cold water and vanilla. Mix till smooth with wire whisk, set aside.
- Using the paddle of the mixer, cream butter and sugar for 10 minutes at medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. About 5 minutes per egg.
- Turn speed to low; add dry ingredients, alternating with the coca/water mixture; ending with the dry ingredients.
- Divide mixture into the two 9-inch or three 8-inch round prepared baking pans.
- Bake at 325Â°F (163Â°C) for 35 to 45 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
Mocha Filling Ingredients:
- Â½ cup (100 grams) white sugar
- Â¼ cup (37 grams) all purpose flour
- Â½ cup fresh milk mix with the cream
- Â½ cup cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Â¼ cup (55 grams) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
Mocha Filling Procedure:
- In a sauce pan, mix together sugar, coffee and flour.
- Slowly pour in, while constantly mixing with a wire whisk, the milk and cream.
- Place sauce pan over low-medium fire and cook till slightly thick.
- Remove from heat and add the egg yolks, while whisking constantly.
- Bring back to fire over low heat and continue cooking till mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then add the butter.
- Use as filling for cake.
Fudge Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 Â¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- Â½ cup Dutch cocoa powder
- Â¼ cup (55 grams) butter
Fudge Frosting Procedure:
- Using a thick sauce pan, mix sugar and cocoa powder and then slowly stir in the milk.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix.
- Place over low-medium fire and cook till the fudge is of spreading consistency (coats the back of a wooden spoon); stir consistently.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then add butter.
- Use to frost the cake.
- Place one piece of the cake on serving dish.
- Spread half or all of the filling evenly.
- Top with next cake layer.
- If using three layers, spread next half of filling.
- If using two layers, frost with Fudge.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream or on itâ€™s own.
- Enjoy the SIN!